Pages

Sunday, November 09, 2014

My Hated Book Covers

About twenty years ago I illustrated the covers and interiors for a young readers book series about a talking detective basset hound named Wordsworth. Only well after the series was in print did the editor tell me author Todd Stasser hated my work. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.



All the originals, done in acrylic airbrush colour on watercolour paper, are long gone. But I did have enough forsight to make colour copies at the time. Here are five of the six covers from my hated book cover series...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is your opportunity for retaliation: were the books badly written?

Roger Reed

leifpeng said...

LoL, Roger ;^)

Anonymous said...

I dont know what he was thinking!

These are so cute and well drawn!

TerBear said...


I think they're great! Obviously Todd Stasser has absolutely no taste. ;-)

leifpeng said...

That's very kind, TerBear - thank you :^)

Mara S said...

I'm so sad to hear this is one of your most hated book covers! This is one of my all time favourite and I've spent so much time over the years wishing I never lost my childhood copy. If it's any value, this cover in particular played a major role in my childhood and I still reflect on it very fondly. Thanks for drawing this and being part of the amazing memories I have as a schoolkid racing around with this book in tow.